The St Ferdinand
Royal Academy of Noble Arts
In order not to miss some of the most beautiful works painted by Goya, a visit to the St Ferdinand Museum at 13, Alcalá Street, next to the Treasury is extremely important.
The baroque palace built by José Churriguera for Goyeneche and converted into the seat of the St Ferdinand Royal Academy of Noble Arts, founded in 1744 by Philip V.
The door is now in neoclassical style, as it was reformed by Diego of Villanueva, the brother of the builder of the Prado Museum.
Here it has been housed all of Goya's world-famous works, such as "The Mad House", "The Penitents", "Bullfight in a Village", "The Burial of the Sardine"; the splendid portraits of "Manuel Godoy"; of the famous actress "La Tirana"; of the writer Leandro Fernández de Moratín" and two fine self-portrait of Goya himself, as well as some fine works by Ribera, Alonso Cano, Murillo, Zurbarán, Rubens, The Greek and many paintings by artists who have been members of the Royal Academy, to which the museum belongs.
Porcelains, plates, engravings and other objects supplement the interesting collection of over a thousand paintings and represent the changes in aesthetics that have taken place in the last three centuries, prolonging and being modernized the intention of Philip V's court sculptor Giovanni Domenico Oliveri, who started a drawing school there, in 1741.
Copyright © 1999 by JLL & JRP
All rights reserved.